GREETINGS

Return: July 21, 2011

Monday, May 3, 2010

May 3, 2010 - Oakdale, Louisiana

WHERE'S THE BOMB SQUAD?

Helllllllllllllllooooooooooo friends and family!
Hm, but my week has been quite an interesting week. And an amazing week, we met the standard again!!!!!

WAHOOOOOOOO!!!! We met a woman named Danita, and the missionaries have taught her before, but oh my goodness, I don't know how they taught her! She hardly stops talking. I probably said 2 words in the 30 minutes we were there. Same with Sister Thomas. We were just dropping by to meet her and take her some DVD's and I couldn't say a word. It was funny, so hopefully when we go back to teach her we'll be able to actually teach her and talk.

This week we met with Reggie, we taught him a lot of things, but the one that sticks out the most is the Word of Wisdom and Law of Chastity. Ha, the moment he saw coffee and tea, he freaked out. "Coffee?!!!! .... I can live without coffee, but tea?!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE tea! I can't live without that!" We told him that there are some tea's he can drink and he said "You better find out which kinds, because I need tea to help me sleep." Ha, he sounds like Andy. I told him my brother loves tea and I actually got him a tea pot for Christmas. Ha then we taught him the Law of Chastity...the Word of Wisdom didn't seem too hard now (mostly because he's recently divorced).

On Friday we went to Turkey Creek, can you say middle of nowhere!?! It was ridiculous. Hardly any street signs and people living in the woods, actually, it was kind of nice, I felt like I was driving in a canyon in the mountains.
On Saturday night....Wow, that was a crazy night. We went to Mamou and went to give the Vances (the senior missionary couple) back their cell phone (because ours doesn't get reception out there), and then we decided we would go get some gas at Walmart. We get to Walmart and police and fire trucks are everywhere. We started to head in and they told us we couldn't go there at this time. So then we had to go to the trouble of trying to get back out... that was a nightmare...and then we went to another gas station. No gas. We went to another. No gas. AND ANOTHER! No gas. We decided that it might be the end of the world and nobody bothered to tell the missionaries. We decided to try one more gas station and VICTORY! They had gas. Right after that we went over to see Reggie because we needed a smile. We were all laughing having fun, then he told us he fell off the wagon and drank coffee at work. But it was good, he has cut back from what he normally does, so that is good. Then out of nowhere this lady come up and says "I need to talk to Reggie Taylor please." And so she pulls him off to the side and starts talking to him, we are over hearing the conversation and she keeps asking him for a dollar-fifty. He told her he didn't have any and wasn't going to give her any. She got reallllllly mad. She was quite a bit intoxicated... maybe high too, I don't know...but she started yelling at him, and started yelling at us and said we didn't know anything. (We were trying not to laugh because we felt so awkward) He told her that we know more than she thinks we do. Then she said "You can't know Jesus! You have never been there. You have never been there! You have never been so low that he was your last resort, that he was the only one you could turn to." And she just kept going off. She said "Are you Mormons?" We said "Yes." And she turned around and walked off. We started being like "what just happened?" And then she'd come back yelling more at us saying stuff like you can laugh, blah, blah, blah, it was a lot... and then she'd leave, and come back, leave, and come back. Finally she came back one last time and went up to Reggie and started pointing at him saying "That is Adam & Eve!" (Reggie is black) She went up and started grabbing his skin saying "This is Adam & Eve, I have told all of the pastors here that I have received revelation that Adam & Eve was black and that every generation got lighter." It was very strange. Then she left for good. We were all laughing but confused and felt bad for her all at the same time. It really was a bizarre night.

I don't remember if I have talked about Georgiana, but we had another lesson with her yesterday, and she just kept saying "I think this is what I have been looking for, I have tried so many religions, but this is what I have been looking for." Ah! She's amazing, but we can only see her on Sundays. So it has been hard to keep contact with her. I think she will be baptized one day though.

But today has been a rough day. We went to WalMart to do our grocery shopping and we were almost done when we here "Code Red, all WalMart employees and customers please exit the building immediately, we have a code red!" What the heck is going on with WalMart in Oakdale, Louisiana?! That is 2 bomb threats in 3 days!!!!! Ridiculous. Then we had to go back and start our shopping over. It was super annoying, let me tell you.

Oh!!!!!!!!! I forgot to tell you some important news I learned when I went to the Elder Christofferson thing. Sister Woods told the Sisters that they don't have to wear nylons unless they have to wear a suit jacket anymore! So only nylon footies now!!!!!!! Unless it's Sunday, but yay! I'm stoked.
But on a more spiritual note, when crazy lady said "You've never been so low that Jesus was your last resort," after she had left, Sister Thomas said "She's right, I never have been so low that Jesus was my last resort, he's always been my first." How wonderful is that?! It is something that I always want to remember. I never want to get to such a low point that I have HAVE to turn to Jesus because he's my last resort. He should always be my first resort. He should be everyone's first resort, then the world would truly be a better place. I should turn to him for everything I do. Just like my missionary plaque scripture says, "Counsel with the Lord in ALL thy doings, and he will direct the for good." (Alma 37:36-37) We should always be turning to the Lord for help. Obviously we can't have him choose what movie we will watch, that would be stupid. But we need to study out our options and make a decision, then pray to know if we have made the right decision, and he will direct us for good! Ah, I love have a loving Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost! Don't you? They are just the best.

Jeffy, I love you and hope you have a Happy Birthday.

Oh! Speaking of the 6th, it is also the National Day of Prayer, and Sister Thomas and I are singing at an event here in Oakdale for that day, fun right?
Anyway, I love you all! Talk to you soon!!!!

Love,
Sister Stacy Jo Earl

No comments:

Post a Comment