GREETINGS

Return: July 21, 2011

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

November 1, 2010 - Covington, LA

Happy November everyone!!!!!!
Sister Clawson told me that November 1st is All Saints Day. Is that true? Or is she just blowing smoke? Okay, first things first. You know what is strange? Normally missionaries are on lockdown for Halloween, this year we weren't because it fell on a Sunday...but since we were out and about, I didn't see ONE trick-or-treater. It was truly sad. It sounds like everything is still changing like crazy, but that everything is good. I am glad. I can't believe that it is already November! We have transfers next week (don't forget I won't write until Tuesday), and I just can't believe how much time is flying by. At the beginning of my mission it seemed to just inch along, granted, some days still feel like that, but overall, time really is flying by. Um, I will just start by telling you about our week, then I will answer any questions you had.
Tuesday was interesting. We had a lesson with the Bobbi and Chico Calix, and we taught the Plan of Salvation. I love teaching them. They are members, but they don't know very much, so we are reteaching them everything, and it has been really fun. They are just starting to get active in the church, and they are loving it. Bobbi has a lot of deep questions, so it's been a little hard, we are trying to give her "milk before meat" if you know what I mean. But yeah, they are just a funny couple and I love teaching them.
Wednesday we had a lot of really good lessons. I think Sister Clawson and I were both a little bit hormonal, so we were kind of frustrated with each other, but hey! We still had some good lessons. In the morning we had a lesson with Brother Burke, and we committed him to make a mormon.org profile (have you made one yet?). If any of you went to priesthood or have read the talks from the priesthood session of conference, read Elder Nelson's. It is about missionary work, and it talks about a young man named Zach, who was in our mission, that joined the church because of mormon.org and the different things he learned because of people sharing their testimonies through it. Anyway, Brother Burke is excited to make a profile, and invite his friends to see it. So that was really neat. Then we had a lesson with Bettie, and we read about baptism in Mosiah 18. You could just feel the spirit in that lesson, and it was really neat. We had a lesson with La Christa (a less active member), and we talked about the Restoration. I think she really understood it this time, and I am excited to hopefully teach her more this week.
On Thursday, we went and had dinner with the Rubert's. Oh my lanta I love them! Ha they are just funny. They live out in the country, with the bugs and all (they are fine with it, me too, as long as they aren't on me), and they are just hysterical. I love that family so much! They are less active family who is now pretty much active, and they are preparing to go to the temple for the first time (for baptisms) in a couple weeks! We are so excited for them. But, we had dinner with them and she made her own homemade chilli, and SNAP! It was super good. After that, we went over the the Richardson's. Robert Richardson is a recent convert, and we went over there to watch The Testaments with him. We got there and his niece Sedonia was there, and Melvina (Robert's wife) says "She want's to be baptized"....WHAT! Ha, yeah, that kind of floored us. So, we explained The Testaments, and watched it anyway. The Spirit was really strong, and we set a return appointment for Saturday.
Friday was a really, really good day. Friday morning we went and did Habitat for Humanity again. SO FUN! We really only did latice work to hang around the bottom of the house, but it was hard. Ha, especially when you have never used a circle saw before, It was a fun couple of hours, and I would love to do that again. I got under the house in the dirt and the rocks, you'd be so proud! Ha, it was fun. But after that...well a little explanation first. A few days ago, the Elder's got a phone call from a concerned mother up in New York telling them they should go visit her daughter who just recently had a baby. She prefered Sister's, and well she just happened to be in our area anyway. So the Elder's called us and told us where she lived. We go over, and she lets us right on in! He name is Gabrielle. She is so wonderful, and her baby is so cute! Well, on Friday we saw her again, and we had a lesson with one of our members, and invited them to come to our Trunk-or-Treat. It was a really good lesson. After that, we made some quick stops and invited people to come to the Trunk-or-Treat, and then we headed to the church to help set up. Guess what! I rode a mule side saddle! Ha, okay I didn't ride it. I sat on it, and it walked two steps. It was cool. But yeah, one of the members has a mule, and brought it so kids could do a mule ride! The Trunk-or-Treat was a HUGE success. First of all, the Elder's were out of miles, so they went tracting with the Spanish Elder's in our area, and we ended up recieving 12 referals from them...WOWSER! They invited all of them to come to the Trunk-or-Treat, and told them to invite anyone they knew! Well one of them really did! So a whole other family showed up, and he brought his nieces and nephew. On top of that, Gabrielle and Matt (her boyfriend), La Christa and her friend, Bobbi Calix, Sedonia, Shauna, and a whole bunch of other people ended up coming! And they were ALL from our area! It was INSANE!!!!!!!!! But so wonderful. Ah hopefully we will see more fruits from that this week.
Saturday we had another lesson with Sedonia, and we committed her for baptism. We taught about the restoration, and it was a really powerful lesson. She is going to be baptized on November 13th (depending on if she recieves her answer by then), and then 3 days after that, she should have her baby! Ha, so she is very pregnant, and we are very excited for her.
That night we were found thinking..."Okay now what?", because we didn't plan very well. Well I just kept on praying, and I decided to just start driving, then the thought came to me to go and see Chey who works at CVS Pharmacy. She had met with the missionaries before, and we were able to talk with her about the Book of Mormon and other things. It was really good, because we were finally able to discover some of her concerns, and ah! I'm excited to teach her again.
Sunday was a really good day as well. Janet Eschete (a recent convert) came to church! We have been trying, and trying, and trying to see her, but have failed continuously. So, we decided well maybe I should just get my hair cut at the salon she works at...we set an appointment and it was going to be $45...yeah...a lot. For a trim. BUT!!!! Since she came to church, she said I'm canceling your appointment. Just come to my house Wednesday night and we will cut it and you can teach me. I am so excited! Ha! I just saved $45 dollars, AND we are going to finally start teaching her the new member lessons!
Sunday night...we saw Bettie Albert! On Saturday I recieved a letter from President Woods telling me that if Bettie was truly converted, she could be baptized in a river. Now we are just trying to figure out if she is truly converted. She is now committed for November 9th, and she needs to quit smoking. Please pray for her desire to completely go away. We REALLY need a miracle right now. She is doing really well, but she needs help. I think she needs a little more of a testimony, but we really need a miracle. But Ah! I'm excited. Overall, it was a good week. We had some "crazy" moments, but it was pretty much awesome.
I love missionary work. I love seeing people have a desire to come closer to Jesus Christ, and actually making the change in their lives to do so. I think sometimes we all have that desire, but many times we fail to act and make the change. That is something I know I am continually trying to do. I'm learning that changing is hard, but in the end, it is worth it. I love you all so much and thanks for all you do. You are the best, and I love you! Um, sorry I didn't answer any questions in this email.
Love,
Sister Stacy Earl

No comments:

Post a Comment