GREETINGS

Return: July 21, 2011

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

June 20, 2011 - Covington, LA

HI family and friends!
 
I can't believe Andy is finally engaged!  Sheesh!  Took him long enough ha, ha!  Nah, but I really am excited for them!  For reals.  Anyway, this week was so good!  On Monday we went to the Conlins for Family Home Evening and our investigators came!  It was really need to have Gerrick, Nadalee and Dyllan there with their mom Stormy.  It was fun.  We did scripture charades and ate some food.  I made some gluten free peanut butter brownies, and they were a hit!  Personally, I think I had made better.  They were kind of mushy, but man, baking with humidity is definitely different!  I swear nothing I make here turns out as good for baking as it did in Utah.  But yeah.  It was a good evening.  After that we went to teach Suzanne, and man.  She has a lot of concerns, and she isn't very open about them.  She's a little depressing too, but it's interesting...as depressing as she can be, I love her to death.  It really just breaks my heart when she doesn't read, or when she just doesn't do things because she puts other things before God.  I have definitely learned that if you put Heavenly Father first, that all of the other things will just fall into place.  Do what he wants you to do, and it will all work out.  I dunno.  She is an interesting character, and it's going to be a little bit longer road with her.
 
On Tuesday we went to District Meeting (Our District Leader just had surgery because of kidney stones and was in a little bit of pain as he instructed, but it was a really good lesson), and it was awesome!  We talked about how important it is that we talk to everyone we can about the restored gospel.  It was neat.  After that, we went tracting...got accused of forcing our religion on someone for asking questions...met Mike, and he is awesome and wants to sort through some anti information that he has heard...and then we met Miss Jeannie.  She is an older woman and we are going to start teaching her!  She is definitely a sweet heart, and I'm excited to start teaching her.  We will be seeing her tomorrow. 
 
Wednesday we saw Bettie, and she is still headed towards baptism!  Sometimes I'm just worried she is doing it just to get baptized, but she is doing the things she is supposed to do, and she has almost completely quit smoking!  It is crazy awesome.  After that we went and met one of our recent converts Sister Kathy.  She is AMAZING.  Her husband was a less active member, and they made a goal to be an eternal family.  So when they moved here, she started taking the lessons, and because of that she reactivated him.  He received theMelchizedek (I probably spelled that wrong) Priesthood before he died of skin cancer.  She is awesome.  Later that day, we went and saw Stormy and her family.  They are amazing!  And she makes really good red beans and rice...just so you know.  Anyway!  It's fun teaching children.  We decided that we need to teach in a more fun way to keep them focused.  So next time we are going to do some games and visual things with treats.  It'll be good.
 
On Thursday we were doing our weekly planning session when we got a phone call from Bettie saying she was going crazy and wanted to take us out for lunch.  We were very proud of her because she called us when she wanted a cigarette...she's never done that.  On our way there, I looked out the window and saw Sedonia.  I quickly told Sister Smith to pull over, and it was just a heart breaking experience...I got out of the car and hugged her.  I asked her how she was doing, and she said good and then she immediately asked me for a dollar for some food.  She looked horrible.  I heard that she was back on the streets doin' drugs, but man.  It was sad.  I hope that I don't have to see that again.  There was so much I wanted to say, but it didn't come, and I knew she wouldn't listen. 
 
Friday we said goodbye to President and Sister Woods.  It was sad.  President talked to be about leaving the past behind and working as hard as you can in the future.  He also asked me if I felt like I was here for someone.  I said for Shawndreia...man I love that little girl.  They should have been baptized on Saturday.  I think they were, but I'm not quite sure.  But yeah.  We had a really good meeting.  All of the missionaries shared their testimonies, and it was really neat.
 
On Saturday we went and helped out with an Activity Days Activity and taught the girls about studying the scriptures.  It was cool.  Later that day we went tracting, and we were knocking, and the first house no one answered, the second house a lady who looked crazy and stoned told us we were a false religion, the third house was a Catholic Nun, and the next house we knocked, and the lady said "You Mormons?"  We said yes, and she let us right on in!  We were a little taken back, and she told us that she had been watching that show "Sister Wives"  and wanted to learn more about Mormons.  She realized that polygamy was not apart of us, but she got a book and the word cult was in the title, so you know that their is a lot of anti in there.  But she asked really good questions, and we are going to meet with her again so she can learn more about what we really believe.
 
Overall it was a really good week.  We are going a little bit crazy planning for Bettie's baptism in the river, but hopefully it will all work out.  I know that Heavenly Father's hand is definitely in this work.  I am so grateful to be serving him at this time.  I know that Heavenly Father love me.  I do.  I know that I am called to be here for 1 more month, and I am going to work as hard as I can to finish my mission strong.  I am grateful for all you do for me.  You amaze me family.  Seriously.  I am so happy for all of the wonderful things that are going on at home, and I hope that y'all have a wonderful rest of your week.  Also, have fun celebrating Father's Day.  I know that I have the best Dad ever, and that I am very grateful for my Heavenly Father as well.  They both help me a lot, and I definitely see my Heavenly Father's hand in this work.  I love y'all.
 
Love,
 
Sister Stacy Jo Earl

No comments:

Post a Comment