GREETINGS

Return: July 21, 2011

Thursday, May 27, 2010

May 25, 2010 - Oakdale, Louisiana - New Companion!

Hello all!

Well, I am staying in Oakdale for yet another transfer, but Sister Thomas is leaving me, I'm sad about it, but I think it will be good for the both of us. She was super sick of Oakdale and it was getting hard to stay positive, but I love her to death and it will be sad to see her go. My new companion is going to be Sister Jack. She actually trained Sister Holmes and has been with her this whole time, so hopefully we will have some fun. She is from Colorado, but I can't remember which part. From what I know of Sister Jack, she is very sweet, genuine and has a beautiful singing voice. She has also been "red-dotted", meaning she can't drive, so I will continue driving! Yippppeeee!!!! Anyway!

Thanks for the little tid bit for help with Reggie, he has been a bit of a frustration this week, but I will tell you more about him in a minute.

So this week has been crazy! We had an awesome District Meeting on Tuesday and Sister Thomas gave the instruction for it. She talked about "war tactics" used in the Book of Mormon and how we can apply them to our lives. She's been reading all the war chapters in Alma (which I just started reading) and thought that would be a fun topic, and it was! I can't remember how she applied it exactly, but I do know that it was good! So if you ever need an idea for a lesson or talk, that is a fun one. Then she used the Soldier's Creed and had us do a Missionaries Creed that applied more for us. It was good.

We only were able to meet with Reggie once this week. He won't commit to a day for baptism because he doesn't want to disappoint us....GAH!!!!!!! Not cool. We have tried to explain that it is not about us, but he doesn't exactly understand that. I think he just forever wants to investigate the church. It's kind of annoying really. BUT!!!!! We did commit 2 people for baptism on Thursday! That is Chris and Elizabeth Darbonne. They have such a great family! Elizabeth just had a baby on the 13th (they named him Miles Lee) and then they have 2 other kids Meghan (5), and Matthew (3). Basically I just want to take Matthew home because he is so cute!!!! But Chris is commited to be baptized on June 26, and Elizabeth is commited for baptism on June 30 (Elizabeth doesn't want to be bapitzed on the same day). Ha, Chris will be baptized in a baptismal font, and Elizabeth wants to be baptized in the bayou. That would be pretty much awesome. They are a good family, they need some focus and need to keep their reading commitments, but they are a good family. That night Chris told us he had quit smoking, and we went over there on Saturday and there was a basically empty carton of cigarettes on the coffee table and I was like "How is your smoking going?" And he said he quit and I pointed to the table. He said they aren't mine. I didn't believe him, but a couple seconds later Elizabeth jumped in and said "They are mine. It's an old carton and I decided to take a couple of puffs to see if I still wanted it. It tasted like an ash tray." Ha, ha! Yay, she thought it tasted like an ash tray! Stupid that she decided to take a puff, but yay smoking tasted like an ash tray!

This week we had been struggling to find new investigators and we tracted on Friday. Man. It is getting humid and Sister Thomas said it's only going to get worse. UG..... I don't know if I can take it ha, ha! It was about 93 degrees plus some humidity. Not fun. But we got in from tracting and hadn't found ANY new investigators and I thought I was going to die I was sweating like crazy. We decided we would tract this trailer park in Glenmora on Saturday, and the first 3 places we knocked, we found new investigators! we found 5 from the first 3 places! We won't be able to go back and see them till Friday probably, but man, it was still hot and humid then too. Ha, a while ago we were teaching Reggie and he said... "I used to think Oakdale was hell! ..... It's hot here!" He paused between those and we thought it would maybe be because of drug use (which is really high here) or for some other reason, but it was pretty much hillarious when he said it.

We found a new guy to teach! His name is Paul Abrusley and we had been trying to get in touch with his daughter Amanda to teach her. Well that week we saw him about 4 different times around town and he just kept saying "Ya'll get around don't chya!" But we stopped by on Sunday and we couldn't get Amanda because she was on her way out the door, but Paul kept asking us questions, so we decided we'd come back next Sunday and teach him a first lesson so he could see what we believe exactly. Ha, ha... hopefully he'll read the Book of Mormon and want to know if we are the true church. He is Catholic (or Catlick as they say here) and he seems like he is an active Catholic. So hopefully we'll be able to teach him a bit more.

On Monday we were able to teach a woman that we have been trying to teach for about 3 or 4 weeks. She finally answered her phone and was home when we came to the door! It was a miracle, and it was a good lesson. Her name is Marie Madison and she is the nicest lady.

Oh, and on Saturday we were also able to teach a woman named Brenda! She is a hoot and I just love her. We have been stopping by and seeing her quite a bit this transfer and she has never been taught. But we taught her a first on Saturday and she said she didn't doubt that Joseph saw angels and Jesus Christ...AWESOME!!!!! Man, I can't wait to see her again. She has just been a wonderful woman to teach and visit with. I like her. I will send home some pictures in a week or so.

That is basically the highlight of the teaching this week! It has been a good week. Hot and tiring, but good.

Oh and about my ankle. The doctor decided I should have surgery to get it removed. It's been bothering me still so ug not fun. Ha, but I tried to call Sister Woods after the doctor to tell her I had went ahead and scheduled a date and figured we could cancel it if she didn't want that, but the Missionary Medical called her and was like "How come you didn't call and tell us a missionary needs surgery?" WOOPS! I didn't know. So we are trying to figure out a day for the surgery, but right now it is scheduled for June 8th. I will have to go under general anesthesia (spelling?) because they aren't sure if the bottom of the cyst is in the ankle joint because it is causing me pain on the opposite side of my foot from the cyst. So ha, we'll see what happens I guess! The date for surgery might change or I might not have it I don't know. Sister Woods is going to figure it out. But that is what I know right now.

Anyway, I love you all and hope you are all doing well. Tell the boys that I love them and I wish they would at least email me. It's nice to hear things from their perspective. Dad, I'm excited to get your letter because my friends are all ghetto and none of them write me. So I basically get things from you, Grandma and Grandpa, Mom and occasionally Neena (I've only written her twice). I sure hope Sister Jack doesn't get a lot of mail, because Sister Thomas did and it is sad ha, ha! But I love you all and thanks for supporting me and being there for me. I love you so much! Hope you have a good day :D

Love,

Sister Stacy Jo Earl

No comments:

Post a Comment